Birmingham Speaker Schedule
Take a look at our speaker schedule for Nursing Times Careers Live Birmingham. Whether you're looking to be inspired by the experts of the profession, after hints and tips on how to prepare for an interview or wish to benefit from practical career development advice, don't miss our talks taking place throughout the day.
Keep checking back as more speakers will be added to the line-up in the coming weeks.
Chair: Steve Ford, editor, Nursing Times
Exhibition open and networking
This year we have lots more exciting exhibition features. Make sure to visit our range of exhibitors with exciting job opportunities. Gain FREE advice on revalidation, CPD activities and learn more about journal clubs at the NT CPD Clinic. Plus free hand care cream, courtesy of Nursem!
Shape your career path
In a working environment that is pressured and constantly changing, how can nurses make time for career path planning, get access to available career opportunities, explore options and access the most useful CPD and education opportunities? This session will explore:
- How best to prepare for interviews
- Summarising your skills and achievements as a nurse and getting across what managers and employers will want to know
- The new skills you need to progress your career in the changing healthcare environment
- Starting development conversations: communicating effectively with your manager and utilising your appraisal process to develop your career and secure professional development opportunities
- Learning from others: Thoughts on mentoring, shadowing and coaching in the workplace and how to go about getting these opportunities
Danny Mortimer, chief executive, NHS Employers
Content to be confirmed soon
Lunch break and networking
Vintage Lindy Hop dance sessions!: Why not try out our taster dance session!
Also, take advantage of the FREE lunch and refreshments available, as well as our prize draw and competitions. To enter, visit 12 or more exhibitors and collect their stand codes.
This session is an opportunity for student nurses to discuss concerns or challenges they may face when transitioning from a student to newly qualified nurse.
- Worried about what's expected on placements and preceptorship programmes?
- What else can you get involved with to make your CV stand out?
- What is it like to win a Nursing Times Student Award and how has it changed the start of your career?
Travis Norton 2018 SNTA winner - Student nurse of the year: Adult University of Birmingham
Content to be confirmed soon
Mindfulness and how it can help you
Mindfulness provides a simple, yet powerful method of helping yourself manage the stress and fast pace of life. A form of meditation, it helps bring awareness and this session will explore in more detail, the benefits of regular practice, including:
- Increased ability to recover and handle stressful situations
- Enhanced capacity to work with and lead organisational and personal change
- More energy and enthusiasm for everyday life
- Greater resilience
Brodie, leadership coach and mentor, Almach Leadership
End of conference
Join us for our final prize draw, drinks reception and live entertainment at our launch party