Leeds Speaker Schedule
Take a look at our speaker schedule for Nursing Times Careers Live Leeds. Whether you're looking to be inspired by the experts of the profession, after hints and tips on how to prepare for an interview or wish to benefit from practical career development advice, don't miss our talks taking place throughout the day.
Keep checking back as more speakers will be added to the line-up in the coming weeks.
Chair: Jenni Middleton, Editor, Nursing Times
Exhibition open and networking
This year we have lots more exciting exhibition features. Make sure to visit our range of exhibitors with exciting job opportunities. Gain FREE advice on revalidation, CPD activities and the chance to win prizes at our NT Learning Zone and Yes! Nurse for cool freebies!
Shape your career path
In a working environment that is pressured and constantly changing, how can nurses make time for career path planning, get access to available career opportunities, explore options and access the most useful CPD and education opportunities? This session will explore:
- How best to prepare for interviews
- Summarising your skills and achievements as a nurse and getting across what managers and employers will want to know
- The new skills you need to progress your career in the changing healthcare environment
- Starting development conversations: communicating effectively with your manager and utilising your appraisal process to develop your career and secure professional development opportunities
- Learning from others: Thoughts on mentoring, shadowing and coaching in the workplace and how to go about getting these opportunities
Rebecca Smith, Director of Engagement, NHS Employers
Working at Devon Partnership NHS Trust - Values and behaviours
- From preceptorships, professional development opportunities and beyond
- Values and behavioural frameworks
- What's it's like to work in Devon and the relocation support available
Sue Smith, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Devon Partnership NHS Trust
Katrine San Jose, Staff Nurse, Holcombe Ward, Devon Partnership NHS Trust
Andrew Greer, Preceptee, Devon Partnership NHS Trust
Lunch break and our Big NHS 7tea Birthday party!
Vintage Lindy Hop dance lessons!:Why not try out our taster dance session!
Take advantage of the FREE lunch, cakes and refreshments available, but also our prize draw and competitions. To enter, visit 12 or more exhibitors and collect their stand codes.
This session is an opportunity for student nurses to learn more about the transition from student to newly qualified nurse.
- Worried about what's expected from day one?
- What can you expect from preceptorship programmes?
Olivia Lindsay-Gould, Former Student Nursing Times Editor: Learning Disabilities and now RN, The Disabilities Trust
Exploring the spectrum of careers available in nursing
This session will provide a focus on the alternative career pathways available in nursing. Following the journey of Anne Cooper, what inspired her to get into nursing, her career progression and how she went on to become the chief nurse at NHS Digital
Anne Cooper, Former Chief Nurse, NHS Digital, now Clinical Director Ethical Healthcare Consulting
Jenni Middleton, Editor, Nursing Times
Nursing through the generations
The NHS is turning 70 on 5 July 2018 and Careers Live Leeds is the perfect opportunity to celebrate achievements and appreciate the vital role the service and nursing plays in our lives. This is our recognition and thanks to you and the extraordinary staff that guide, support and care for us. This session will look at the evolution of nursing and how career development has changed.
Betty Smithson, Former Assistant Director of Nursing Education and Member, NHS Retirement Fellowship
End of conference and our NHS 70th vintage themed drinks reception
Join us for our vintage afternoon tea, cakes and prosecco party to celebrate 70 years of the NHS, as well as our final prize draws!