Manchester Speaker Schedule
Take a look at our speaker schedule for our new event, Nursing Times Careers Live Manchester. Whether you're looking to be inspired by the experts of the profession, after hints and tips on how to prepare for an interview or wish to benefit from practical career development advice, don't miss our talks taking place throughout the day.
Keep checking back as more speakers will be added to the line-up in the coming weeks.
Chair: Steve Ford, editor, Nursing Times
Exhibition open and networking
This year we have lots of exciting exhibition features. Make sure to visit our exhibitors with exciting job opportunities available. Gain free advice on revalidation, CPD activities and learn more about journal clubs in our CPD Clinic. Plus pick up free hand care cream, courtesy of Nursem!
Shape your career path
In a working environment that is pressured and constantly changing, how can nurses make time for career path planning, get access to available career opportunities, explore options and access the most useful CPD and education opportunities? This session will explore:
- How best to prepare for interviews
- Summarising your skills and achievements as a nurse and getting across what managers and employers will want to know
- The new skills you need to progress your career in the changing healthcare environment
- Starting development conversations: communicating effectively with your manager and utilising your appraisal process to develop your career and secure professional development opportunities
- Learning from others: thoughts on mentoring, shadowing and coaching in the workplace and how to go about getting these opportunities
Paul Wallace, director of employment relations and reward, NHS Employers
Proud to nurse - Inspiration to reach your career goals
A moving example of personal courage and determination that led Donna from homelessness to a fulfilling career in district nursing
This session aims to highlight what is possible to achieve and inspire you to reach your own career goals
Donna-Marie Thomas, community staff nurse, Powys Teaching Health Board
Lunch break and networking
Vintage Lindy Hop dance lessons!: Why not try out our taster dance session!
We will be providing a free lunch, cakes and refreshments. Our first prize draw will take place at 12:45. To enter, visit 12 or more exhibitors and collect their stand codes.
This session is an opportunity for student nurses to discuss any concerns or challenges they may face when transitioning from student to newly qualified nurse.
- Worried about what's expected on placements and preceptorship programmes?
- Find out what else can you get involved with to make your CV stand out
- Discover what is it like to win a Student Nursing Times award and how it can boost the start of your career
Joe Atkinson, 2018 Student Nurse of the Year: Mental Health award winner, University of York
Find out how to get published with Nursing Times!
This session will explore
- The process of having an idea and seeing it through to being published in print or online
- Why getting published is great for your career and personal profile
- How to decide what to write about, who for and how to increase your chance of getting your article accepted
Kathryn Godfrey, practice and learning editor, Nursing Times
Unleashing your potential
This session will explore the skills and motivation needed to perform your best at work.
- Uncover and analyse your key motivators
- Align your motivation to your goals at work
- Advice and guidance to perform your best
Ruth Oshikanlu, coach and managing director, Goal Mind
Manchester launch party and our drinks reception for 70 years of the NHS
Join us for our final prize draw and to enjoy our party for the NHS, featuring live entertainment.