Take a look at our speaker schedule for the first Nursing Times Careers Live Nottingham. Whether you're looking to be inspired by the experts of the profession, after hints and tips on how to prepare for an interview or wish to benefit from practical career development advice that counts towards your NMC revalidation, then be sure to visit the talks taking place throughout the day.
Keep checking back as more speakers will be added to the line-up in the coming weeks.
Deputy CNO - Delivery and Innovation
NHS Improvement and NHS England
Practice development lead for recruitment and retention
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
How to thrive as a newly qualified nurse
SNTA Winner 2019 - Student nurse of the year: children
University of Nottingham
Chair: Steve Ford, editor, Nursing Times
Exhibition open and networking
This year we have lots more exciting exhibition features. Make sure to visit our range of exhibitors with exciting job opportunities. Gain FREE advice on revalidation, CPD activities at the NT CPD Clinic.
Keynote: The Interim NHS People Plan
In January, the NHS published its Long Term Plan which sets out an ambitious 10-year vision for healthcare in England. However, to deliver this plan, there needs to be an ambitious workforce plan to support it. The Interim NHS People Plan lays the foundations to make this a reality. This session will explore how the plan will aim to:
- Make the NHS the best place to work
- Balance supply and demand across all staff groups
- Develop the leadership and talent we need now and for the future
- Embed cultures that make staff feel valued and support mental wellbeing in the workplace
Mark Radford, deputy CNO for delivery and innovation, NHS Improvement and NHS England
Achieve your nursing potential at Nottingham University Hospitals
Rated 'outstanding' for caring by the CQC, this session will explore NUH's journey to excellence for Magnet® recognition and what they can offer you:
- An Institute of Nursing and Midwifery Care Excellence, offering well-established professional education and career development opportunities
- The biggest shared governance programme in the UK, with 85 staff councils at ward level, giving you a voice, as part of our workforce
- A culture of innovation as demonstrated by being shortlisted in multiple awards - NT Workforce Awards 2019, NT Awards 2019, PENNA 2018
- Excellence in staff recognition and professional pride in nursing
- The chance to lead award winning improvement initiatives that are co-produced with service users
Lucy Gillespie, practice development lead for recruitment and retention, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
Take advantage of our free lunch, refreshments and our first prize draw. There will also be the opportunity to pamper yourself so be sure to visit our hair and makeup specialists to treat yourself
To enter, visit 12 or more exhibitors and collect their stand codes to be in with the chance for some well deserved rewards.
It's currently your job market, make the most of it!
This session will focus on career pathway planning and securing the job you really want, exploring different pathways and how to align your training and development to get there
- From clinical, education, research, specialist and advanced nursing roles, find out what suits you best
- How to focus on learning and development
- There is always another opportunity, keep connected
Carol Forde-Johnston, author, How to thrive as a newly qualified nurse
Dealing with difficult conversations
This session will look at workplace challenges and fears. Discussing how to build personal resilience and develop assertiveness skills, to better prepare you when facing challenges from colleagues or patients
Dawn Jones, managing director, Hope Place
Student reception and preceptorships
This session is an opportunity for student nurses and newly qualified nurses to learn more about what to expect on preceptorships. From what to ask a potential employer about the support they offer, through to exploring the realities of the job from day one. Meet our NT rising stars to learn about their experience and advice on advancing in your role:
- Worried about what's expected on placements and preceptorship programmes?
- Find out what else can you get involved with to make your CV stand out
Rachel Dakin, SNTA Winner 2019 - Student nurse of the year: children, University of Nottingham
Final prize draw
To enter, visit 12 or more exhibitors and collect their stand codes to be in with a chance of winning £500 in holiday vouchers!
Join us for a drink and enjoy some live entertainment to wrap up a great day of R&R.